His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Voice of the Martyr's Conference

We attended "The Voice of the Martyr's Conference" for the first time last weekend.
I have always wanted to attend this conference and this was the year to do it.

I was taken away by the Spirit of love that permeated the entire conference. Everybody there was so sweet and polite and seemed to just ooze the Love of Christ. We attended with a few other families from our church and got to know some of them a little better too. :)

If you aren't familiar with "The Voice of the Martyr's", it was founded by Richard and Sabina Wurmbrand. They were Romanian Christians. They survived world war 2, and then the communists took over Romania. Pastor Wurmbrand was a popular speaker and writer at that time. All the pastors were asked to attend a mandatory meeting and then told they would need to embrace communism and cease the teachings of Christ. Pastor Wurmbrand was one who stood up and said no, knowing that he would be arrested. Several days later, he was. He and Sabina were imprisoned for years, leaving their son to fend for himself on the streets. That is another story in itself.

Richard Wurmbrand wrote his first book "Tortured for Christ" many years ago. I was introduced to the book and heard of Richard Wurmbrand from my science teacher. I read it when I was in 7th grade and it changed my life. It opened my eyes to what life was like for the devoted Christian in an unchristian, unprotected,world.
It made me be bold for my faith and gave me courage, especially the next year when I attended a different school.

This year, the countries represented were, Iraq, Iran, Israel(bethlehem), Bangladesh, Columbia, China, North Korea, Romania, and the Philippines.

Gracia Burnham spoke and that was amazing.

One of the more touching moments for me personally, was having a Palestinian Christian Pastor from Bethlehem, lead in the communion service, and all of the speakers, served communion. That was so touching, and really put meaning to the Body of Christ for me personally.

Each of them spoke of how important it is for us to pray for them and that in their worst moments, they could feel our prayers.

That is also something that Richard Wurmbrand wrote about in his book. He thought western christians were praying for him in prison, and was so sad when he found out, nobody in the west even knew who he was or that he was in prison.

That is why he founded Voice of the Martrys. So people would be made aware of brothers and sisters in Chains around the world.

This is a very worth while organization and if you haven't heard of them, I recommend you check them out. They have a news letter than they send out free once a month, and many materials. They have a children's newsletter also called, "Kids of Courage" which our girls receive.

The children's conference was wonderful too, and our girls came back rejoicing over what they had heard. Tonight during our worship time they prayed for those who suffer for Jesus Christ.

During the question and answer session, a question was posed and Mihai Wurmbrand answered it...

The question was: "What about the children of Christians... if we were to be persecuted,here, would our children turn away from their faith?

Mihai answered that so very well. He said usually persecution causes children of believers to cling to their faith.

One woman put it so well. I cannot turn away from what is true.

I do not have any pictures of the conference because, it was important not to take pictures. Many people who came are in danger in their own countries and having their faces exposed even on a limited blog like this could put them in danger.

Please remember our brothers and sisters in Christ who suffer for their faith, all over the world, and if you can, check out the Voice of the Martyr's web site.
They do much for helping families of imprisoned believers.
www.vom.org

No comments:

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin