His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Friday, January 23, 2009

Reality

Today went well at the hospital. Sarah's leg fits her quite well and she went skipping down the hall like nothing ever happened. Erika on the other hand, is just a bit more complicated.

The goal for Erika has been to make her as independent as possible. Meaning, she would be able to put her own legs on without help. This is really important for her future.
It is also important that she be able to walk without legs. She is a bilateral amputee, and the symes amputations have made it possible for her to walk on bare legs with no prosthetics when in the house. She can get up in the middle of the night and go to the bathroom, she can take a shower, she can get out of bed without having to be carried, etc.
When she first came, she could do none of these things.

The problem we are having is with the size on one of her legs. It has become too large and because of her previous deformity, bones are all over the place. :) That, combined with a very tiny shin and larger knee make it difficult to fit her in prosthetics.
It has gotten more difficult as her one leg has grown.

So, combined with happy news that her new legs are fitting ok, but tight.... and they are an old style of leg that she cannot put on by herself, the doctor and prosthetist talked and they think it would be best to operate. This would mean cutting bone away, removing excess tissue and reshaping her stump so she can fit into a leg better.

The reality is: She will have surgery, there will be a 6 to 8 week recoupuration time for the surgery, then making a new style of legs, and then the big one: the time it will take to be able to stand again on her bare legs to get around the house on her own. I was a little caught off guard.... but I am so thankful that God will never cause us to go through anything alone.

The Doctor suggested summer time, but Erika was a bit upset about that. I don't blame her. She spent one summer in a body cast and it was no fun. :( So, we will talk to him about moving it to Spring, so she can walk a bit, get out for a few weeks and then have the surgery. That way she can spend summer being a kid. And then hopefully, by next year she will be able to walk again on her bare legs around the house without pain.

The Lord has brought our family together for a reason. HE KNEW before He formed our family what trials he would bring us through. Trials are there to strengthen us, to cause us to depend upon HIM. Besides Dad, Mom and Erika, this includes Anna and Sarah too.

And Erika, Anna and Sarah bring us nothing but joy. :)

3 comments:

Muddled Muse said...

Thanks for the update on Sarah and Erika... I'll be thinking about y'all.

And speaking of families and blessings...thanks for posting "Masterpiece" (by Sandi Patti) on your playlist. It was one of the songs I used to listen to a *lot* when I was little and it has been forever since I thought about or heard it. It almost made me cry when I heard it (happy tears!) because I understand the lyrics so much more now...and how urgent it is for people to realize their truth in our present day.

mommajeane said...

Oh I so know your heart right now... I will be praying for peace and hope... we too have put off a surgery on our Mya until the fall. She loves swimming too much to have her not be able to .. today she came to me and said,"Momma when I get my leg done do you think I can do ballet?" She had polio as you know and the leg hardly supports her weight.. but I know this child will twirl and dance one day as your daughter.. they both have the same spirit.Much like their mommas :)

Kylie said...

Thanks for the update Christie. I will pray everything goes alright!

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin