I wound up on the front page of the "Daily Breeze". When the paper arrived in the morning I remember my mother saying "That is you and Joey!" Joey was my uncle, one year younger than me.
All of the kids had been picked up, and we were still waiting. My mom had no idea a tornado had occurred. We lived just less than a mile from the school, so our power was out and she didn't realize what time it was.
I remember walking home through debris and danger.... and walking in to my mom shocked....when I said, "There was a tornado that hit our school!"
She left to go and pick up my sisters at their schools.
My classroom is the one on the far right at about 25-30 seconds into the video. The awning that was an overhang was wound up like a top. I'll never forget that sound.
When the tornado hit, I was sharpening my pencil, and I saw black swirling and then the trees flattened in a split second. Our windows started breaking and our teacher shouted, "Get under your desks NOW!"
It was loud and scary.
I can't imagine going through an F5. Those poor kids. :(
No comments:
Post a Comment