His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

One Of THOSE Days!

Yesterday was one of THOSE days, where you wonder if somebody put something in the koolaid!
We started off the morning with some agitation and bossiness, and I THOUGHT it was all settled, until the afternoon when  we had a repeat of the very same thing!

It had been a VERY BUSY weekend, and many times, too much activity can wreak havoc on a certain young lady. :) 
But I was also tired too!  I looked at Mike and said, "I think I need to go for a drive!" 
He laughed and said, "I think you need to read your last blog post.".  :)
He was right.... We need to be very careful how we phrase things.  It would be much better to say, "My window of tolerance is closed!" <------link  My girls understand what this means.  But to say, "I need to go for a drive",  sends the message that I am rejecting; and I don't want to send that message.  What I really wanted needed was peace. 
The window of tolerance is such a good picture to remember, and it works for both adults AND children.  If we can recognize it in ourselves, a quick solution could be just taking 5 minutes to go and breathe, walk on the treadmill and pray, or get a quick shower.  It is MUCH better to excuse one's self from a situation for a brief moment by saying, "Mama's window of tolerance is closed right now. I'll be right back! I love you!"  Otherwise, things may not go so well in the communication department.  We need to remember this for our children too.  Sometimes giving them a 5 minute break before talking to them about something, or if you are in the middle of talking to them, and things break down, saying, "How about if we just take 5 minutes to think!"  This is very helpful.

So, after a few minutes, we sat down and together worked things out with our daughter; helping her understand once again, TONE of voice, and reminding her that she does NOT fully understand English, and in fact MISUNDERSTANDS much. 
Because we have a relationship with her, it makes it easier when we need to correct her behavior.  It is never pleasant to point out one's faults.
What was really great though, was the Sunday morning Prayer time was on Psalm 78. The Sunday School class discussed how our WORKS are not what bring salvation, but it is a GIFT, to us, FROM GOD, because he chooses to give, and chooses to love us, not because of anything We do!
And then the final service was all on Luke 6:43-49.
(the wise man built his house upon the rock)
Our pastor, Justin, is so wonderful and HUMAN in his approach to teaching each week. He is able to rightly divide the word of GOD and get to the HEART of the issue.
He reinforced once again, that we are all flawed human beings, with sin natures, and that GOD is rich in mercy and grace.

I am so thankful for such good teaching!


No comments:

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin