His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Labor Day Weekend....

Mike and the girls went to the Lake today with some friends. They had a wonderful time!
Anna and I stayed home and spent some time together.  It was nice. :)
Summer is winding down, but boy is it HOT!  Today was predicted to be 108ยบ.  I don't know if it made it to that temperature, but it sure felt like it did!  It will be hot like this for the rest of the week.

Tomorrow, is Labor Day....  For YEARS, I convinced the boys and then the girls that Labor day was a day that was granted so you could labor at home and get the house really clean!

Well, those days are over! Everybody knows that is not the case... BUT....
Tomorrow, we will be "laboring" out of love to get the house clean, the outside clean and more. :)

Happy Labor Day!

Some pictures from today:












These girls are growing up and changing so fast!  Oh my! I love them so.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Christie, so glad to find your blog thru a repost of an older entry on twitter! I am so encouraged by the posts I've read about BCLC. What resource would you recommend for encouragement to implement/grow in this approach to parenting?

Christie Minich said...

Hi Beth,
Thank you for reading!:)
To answer your question.... for a newly adopted child, or a child with severe behaviors, we always use BCLC. Beyond Consequences Logic and Control. Heather Forbes's book spells out clearly why "punishments" do not work.
She uses the terms Love Based and Fear based to apply to parenting.

Some take offense thinking if you are parenting from "fear based" techniques, then you don't "love" your children... but this could not be further from the truth.
Of course we all love our children!
:)
She is talking about parenting styles that can be "externally controlling" vs. teaching "internal self control" .

Once we feel comfortable that our children are beginning to feel secure, we then add on more of a Karyn Purvis type approach. Both approaches are really the same, but some of the info in the books can seem to conflict if you are reading with the wrong set of lenses. :)
The book "The Connected Child" is one I have taken a couple of support groups through and we are going to start another one the end of this month.
It is a fantastic, practical application of BCLC principles.

There is a wonderful bible study guide to go with "The Connected Child" that you can get from www.empoweredtoconnect.com for free, in downloadable PDF form.

Our youngest daughter has been home 2 1/2 years, and with her permission I have blogged about her transition. She came to us via disrupution 2x's, and is originally from Russia.
If you go back to March of -11 that is where her story starts and you can probably get a good picture of what BCLC or The Connected Child look like.
You can also get a good picture of my many failures! :) Because there is NO perfect parent! No, not one!

Muddled Muse said...

I like the new collage!
I'm glad you had a relaxing weekend - hopefully the summer heat will be over soon for you all!

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin