His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Passover


We celebrated Passover tonight with our first family Seder. I think we are going to do this every year. It was very meaningful. We wanted to attend a Seder, but couldn't find one for tonight, but we were able to watch one on the internet, participating with Baruch Hashem, a messianic fellowship in Dallas.


I looked up how to prepare the Seder meal on the internet, and had everything prepared.
The girls were especially excited about being able to eat! The Seder included an explanation of Seder and it's history, so was a little long winded, but really good.

Instead of Roasted Eggs, I used hard boiled. We had horseradish, celery, eggs, (instead of parsley we used romaine lettuce, we used salted water with vinegar, and raisins with sunflower seeds.
I didn't know what to do with not having bones from a lamb, and when Mike asked about it, I said, "I'm not sure what to do".... and then, it dawned on me, I need to check the freezer. And low and behold there was a Leg of Lamb from last year FROZEN and ROASTED already! :)
So, we added Lamb. :)Here are a few pics of the girls eating "Bitter HERBS"


I was really amazed at the Matza bread. The 3 pieces of bread in one bag, and the middle one taken away and broken.
We really had an interesting night. :)
I think Erika enjoyed it.

10 comments:

Hevel said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your Seder!

In Ashkenazi households at least (and might be the same for Sephardim) we don't eat lamb for Seder, however, we do have the bone on the Seder plate.

If you want to do Seder every year, you might just want to get your own printed Haggadah and do it to actually fit your family without having to wait for some great body of Seder doers elsewhere. Sarah or your granddaughter (or your grnadsons) would get a kick out of asking the 4 questions and I'm sure the girls would love looking for the afikomen. :-) Plus a major Pesach commandment - don't mess with electricity after sunset - can be fulfilled, too.

After some prompting from friends, it seems one of my friends and I are going to put together a little website with information on Judaism, customs, holidays (based around lifecycles) especially for non-Jewish families with kids, who would like to find out more about Judaism. If you have anything you'd like to see there, let me know!

Chag Sameach!

Chiara Elena said...

Did Sara like bitter herbs? she is the one who likes vegetables so much, the look on her face was not really thrilled...

Mike and Christie said...

Chiara,
No, she was holding her nose. :) I like horseradish myself, but that strong; it made me sneeze. :)

Hevel,
I think that is a very good idea! :) It will keep Gentiles like me from eating roasted lamb at Seder. :)

Chiara Elena said...

May I ask something to Havel through your blog? I hope you don’t mind. I remember a single Yiddish word a neighbour used to tell me; she used to say “are you still here red hair? what a “hutzpah” or “kutzpah” you have! I think she meant that I had the audacity to ask her for a glass of water at least five times during summer afternoons when I was outside playing. Her house was closer to the park than mine... Am I right? She called me “hutzpah” or “kutzpah”, but she always gave the water and a smile, every time I asked

Mike and Christie said...

I think Hutzpah or kutzpah is in place of chutzpah which means "gutsy or spunky"?.. Hevel will know. :)

Chiara Elena said...

do you speak a little Yiddish too?

Hevel said...

Chiara Elena, it might be odd... but I know very very little Yiddish. While I'm 90% Ashkenazi, my ancestors are from Hungary, where the mostly assimilated Jewish community didn't speak Yiddish, and very few people in my circles in Israel do.

That said, chutzpah can be both positive or negative, and it simply means audacity. Often used in the English speaking world to mean spunk, as Christie said.

Mike and Christie said...

No. I just googled. :)

Country mom said...

We have done the Sedar several times. I have an Afikoman bag we use and a child friendly Sedar plate (non breakable, pictures and words in English and Hebrew) This year I just didn't find the time, partially because my older boys are working and involved in so much after school stuff we have no evenings with everyone home this year.
I do have some kid videos about both passover and Easter for my younger kids and my neices (who are over here every day after school) and Friday morning we are doing a special hunt using ressurection eggs. We used to do special cookies the night before. They are made with Egg whites and the kids help make them and you read verses. I am debating how to do that this year with the older boys working Saturday night.

Chiara Elena said...

Ohh that could be... This lady is from New York, her parents were from Ukraine. She lived there until she was around fourty years old, and then she moved here with her husband who is italian.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin