His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Modeling Behaviors

When I was a kid, my mom would say something like, "Stop whining!" You know, I really never knew what she meant. I probably was whining, don't recall why, but I know it was an issue more than once, as I remember getting in trouble for it more than once.

I was in the store today, with 3 of the girls and one of my daughters started to "whine". Why? She was disappointed that we hadn't had our mommy daughter time this month, and it is already next month. Sometimes that happens, and with the recent events going on in our neck of the woods, I'm surprised we even made it to the store. :)

So, here we were, all together, and I asked her if she wanted to pick out a collar for her goat. She whined, "we were supposed to do that alone together!"
I know she was disappointed that we missed our date, but that was not the place to let me know, OR to whine! :)

So, I let her know I knew she was disappointed and let her know that I was sad to have missed our date too, BUT.... we can have a good time now, and if she wants that collar, we can get it while we are at the store.

She decided to wait.

When we got home, I told her I wanted to do a role play with her. She was to be me, and I was to be her. I was going to show her what "whining" was like.

So we engaged in a rather humorous banter back and forth with her trying to be me and me trying to be her. We both wound up laughing, but I think she got a better idea of what "whining" is.

She said she didn't know it sounded like that. As a matter of fact, she thought I sounded down right awful and she couldn't have sounded THAT bad. LOL

I assured her she did. :)

So what happened the rest of the day?

She first came to me later and said, "Mama, I'm sorry I acted like that."
Then, she has been cheerful and helpful.

And, I do plan to take her this month to get that collar for her goat, during our special date. :)

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin