His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Monday, February 22, 2010

Discovery Channel Show

At Summer Camp last year, the discovery channel people were there to film a segment of their show called "Life Without Arms". Because we don't have cable television, we were never able to actually view the show.

A friend called on the night of the show and said, "I saw Erika on TV!" I told her we hadn't seen the show but were curious how it came out.

At our camp, there are children with multiple limb loss or limb difference. It featured one of our campers who's name is Nadia. She is an adorable little girl who was born with no arms.

Well, when Mike came back from camp, we had a video recording of the show so we could watch it, thanks to Erika's friend Brittany. :) Thanks Brittany!

I was so impressed with how this show was handled. It featured a man who had no arms and was a professional musician and single father. It featured a girl with no arms who was flying a plane by herself. It featured Nadia too.

What a blessing to watch each of these precious people say, that living with limb loss is just no big deal. The biggest thing was that THEY viewed themselves as normal and as children, just didn't get what all the fuss was about. :)

That is EXACTLY what it is like for our girls who have limb loss, and our son who has cerebral palsy. If you don't know any different, it just is, what it is....
There are times when it hits you that you are different. But unlike an adult who loses a limb due to illness or accident, it just isn't a tragedy. As Nadia's mom says, "they are just comfortable in their skin."
And I am SO GLAD!
I'm really glad we got to see the show, and I even saw myself too. LOL

2 comments:

Hevel said...

Wow. That show is going to be on one of the channels I watch in a week or so again! We were starting to watch that show last time it was on, but then the power went out.

Tim said...

What show was it on? I'd like to find it.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin