His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Our Weekend Retreat

Last weekend, all of us were able to go to Family Retreat weekend at Peaceable Kingdom, located just outsie Killeen in the Hill Country.

Peaceable kingdom is a 5013c campground dedicated to serving children with special needs and their families. The Camp is awesome. When we arrived there was a dinner waiting for us, and table games. Then everybody headed up to the theater for more games and a Friday night movie. We then went to our cabins and got snuggled into bed. Every bed in the girl's cabin was taken so Erika and I shared a bed. Anna slept upstairs and Sarah slept on a top bunk across the room. There were giggles until about 1 in the a.m. and then it finally got quiet.

In the A.M., Mike and Anna went for an early walk and the rest of us headed to the main lodge for breakfast and games. Then they divided us into 4 groups. The girls were in 2 different groups and Mike and I wound up in the same group. There were team events including pulling ropes with a hook on the end in order to pick up blocks of wood and move them into a designated area. Some of the children had to tell everybody what to do and which way to pull. (there were 5 or 6 ropes connected)
Then there was Z. A cable tied between trees that formed a Z. They had to figure out how to get between trees with just that line to step on. (2 feet off the ground) TEAM WORK! Then there was the 3 wooden platforms of different size. 4or5 people stood on the platform with 2 planks of wood in different sizes. They had to figure out how to get everybody to the next platform without touching the ground.

Then there was the carnival in the afternoon, put on by a group of teens from the area. After a Chinese dinner, put on by the local Kiwana's club with decorations and all, there was a cool round the fire marshmallow roast. Then, it was time to go to the theater once more.

On Sunday A.M. we headed back home. We really had a neat time.


We were able to meet some wonderful families whose children are all served at Scottish Rite Hospital. I have never met a finer group of parents.

1 comment:

katie said...

It sounded like you guys at tons and tons of fun!

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin